Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Runaway Bride


Two posts on one day! I had actually been saving up the previous post for awhile now because I had been too busy (lazy) to edit and post it. And no, I am not blogging about running away from my FI in a scary looking spandex bridal outfit, but this pic is pretty funny isn't it??

What I am really bloggin about is the possibility of a Destination Wedding. The past few weeks have been pretty rough for me- stress from work, school, house, family, and wedding planning has gotten to me. I am no closer to making up my mind on the wedding venue. I had a pretty bad episode with my family over Easter about the wedding plans. Everyone has their opinions of what I should do, and some others were downright nasty to me for no apparent reason. I am dreaming about taking a nice long tropical vacation!

This has gotten me thinking. FI and I decided that one thing we both really want is an amazing and exotic honeymoon. He wants to lie on a beautiful beach- I want to explore a foreign city. We came to a compromise- one week on the beach, one week exploring. I have been obsessed with the idea of going to Bali. The island is supposed to be beautiful and offer plenty of beaches and exploring all in one. It is also in Indonesia, which means we could fly in by way of Hong Kong or Singapore and get in a few days in one of these exotic cities. It's win- win for both of us!

Bali has a great exchange rate right now, and I've looked up some accomodations that seem like a fantastic deal- now all we have to do is get there.

During my honeymoon dreams, I started noticing all the pictures of the care- free bride and groom saying "I DO" in the breezy tropical air. They look sooo happy and content. Why can't I do this??? This would solve ALL my problems!



Well, not quite, but it just seems so awesome. There are whole villas you can rent in Bali, often for less than $100 per person per night. The villas come with a full staff- chef, maids, butlers, even a chauffeur and car. We could have our ceremony there and then have our staff cook us a delicious dinner- all for the cost of food from the markets! How amazing does this sound? I know that not many people would be able to come around the world for us- probably just our parents, siblings, and MAYBE a few other close friends or family members. It does seem as if the cost would be sooo much less than a normal wedding and soo much more enjoyable. Plus we will be ON our dream honeymoon as we are getting married. What could be better than that?

Downsides are the fact that we both want all of our friends and family to be there for the big day.

I guess there always is the AHR (At home reception), but this is not quite the same. It also seems difficult to plan a wedding that will take place thousands of miles away without even going there to scope anything out. I'm sure it would be doable, and probably less overall work than a big wedding here. I just don't think I would care as much to have everything perfect when I am already in an amazing and tropical surrounding. The natural beauty of the island and the close intimate celebration would be enough for me.

What do you think? Anyone else struggle with a tough decision over a DW?? I don't want to upset and offend my family, but this is OUR choice. This view might sway your opinion!!:)


No comments:

Post a Comment