Monday, April 7, 2008

The one??

This past weekend's visit to Cleveland was mainly for my Grandmother's 70th birthday party, but of course I got a little venue hunting in! I had really high hopes for this one- the Cleveland Lakeside Courthouse downtown.

FI and I got there early Saturday morning and walked up to the imposing black doors. Once inside, the guard grunted and made us walk through the metal detector. Good thing we were on the list! Keep in mind this is the actual Courthouse building during the week.



Those doors are HUGE and heavy! Then we walked in and..............

Words cannot express how I felt on seeing the inside. How lucky we were to see that it was set up for a wedding that day! The gold chairs looked amazing in there. The ceilings are so huge and beautiful. The space really does not even need any decorating. One thing I would like to use in there would be all long tables,like this:

I really like that look. There is also a balcony at the top of a beautiful curving staircase.



They had a bar set up there. The balcony can be used for the cocktail hour, or just a place for guests to come and observe all the action going on below:



I LOVE this.


Other pros include bringing our own caterer and alcohol, which gives me complete creative control. It is downtown by the water which I really wanted and close to many many hotels. If I keep the 4th of July date, there will be traffic, but guests can stroll outside and have prime fireworks views, and there is an orchestra playing in the square all day.

So what are the drawbacks you ask. Why am I not running in a frenzy to sign the contract NOW!!!
1. small thing I know.... buuuuttt, this is a public building during the week, and the bathrooms totally reflect that. The look like ramshackle gas station bathrooms. Not much you could even do to make them nicer.


2. EVERY last thing from a fork to a gorgeous guilded chivari chair has to be rented and brought in. There are no kitchens, so an over abundance of glasses and plates need to be brought in. This stuff all adds up.

3. It costs $525/hour to rent this space. I would also have to rent the parking garage for $500. Yikes!


4. No windows! Ugh.. it seems like everything is a compromise.


5. More vendors and MORE work for me!


Sigh... what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment