Friday, November 20, 2009

4th of July: Doing my own flowers!

Early Thursday morning, my mom and I were awakened by the delivery of a new kitchen table. They were also cutting it really close! We were able to move their old table into the garage, which turned out perfectly, because an hour later I received my shipment of flowers! My original order had been to Fifty Flowers for 100 white ranunculus, but they canceled it a few days before the wedding due to shortages. I was very disappointed, but unwilling to substitute with a more expensive flower. I quickly placed my order with Flowers and Freshness. I ordered 100 roses, and 50 stems of hypericum berries.

They were great, and I highly recommend them. I was able to order 25 each of 4 different rose types, which were jade(green), limo(green), twin(green), and cream. With shipping, the total was $160. I also purchased a bunch of green hydrangeas for my bouquet, and a huge bunch of orange roses at a local Sam's Club for about $30. Including supplies I bought at the dollar store(floral tape, wire, ribbon), I spent about $200.

I wish I had more pictures of the bouquet making, but we were all busy. My mom and I filled big buckets with water and flower food, and stuck all the flowers in them in the garage. This past summer in the northeast/Midwest area was quite rainy and cool, and the few days leading up to my wedding was no exception, so the flowers did great sitting in the garage. My grandmother, great grandmother, aunt, and sister came over, and we got started. I have never made a bouquet or have any experience with flower arranging, and neither did any of my helpers. I just want to clarify that. I don't think my bouquets were an amazing work of art, but I thought they were lovely and worked for our purposes.

Our basic strategy was to wrap 3 roses together (1 of each of the greens)with one stem of hypericum berries, and then wrap 4 of these together into a bouquet for the bridesmaids. I also added a few peacock feathers to kind of fan out from the edge. We wrapped these all with lots of floral tape, and double secured the edges with some hot glue. We left long stems that we could then stick back in the buckets. They would be finished on Saturday morning!


For my own bouquet, I used the whole bunch of green hydrangeas, and the cream roses. This bouquet was extremely difficult to make, because the hydrangea stems are very thick, and the cream rose heads kept getting popped off. I put in the ostrich feathers to see how it would look, but later pulled them out.


We then worked on the boutonnieres. For the two fathers, we used a rose, a stem of hypericum berries, and a peacock feather. The groomsmen got a large stem of hypericum berries, and a peacock feather. I didn't make the groom's yet, as I would use a stem from my own bouquet on Saturday morning. We also left these stems very long, so they could sit in the water until they were ready to be finished. My mom also made small bouquets for her and my mother-in-law using the orange roses.

I enjoyed this work and very much appreciated my group of impromptu helpers. It was actually quite enjoyable to spend this time with my family in the calm before the storm. However, it did take the five of us around five hours to make eight bouquets, and seven boutonnieres. So make sure you allot a good amount of time. I did not find this to be difficult at all though. There are many great videos on Youtube that will show you the basic art of using floral tape. It is weird to work with at first, but just pull and stretch it, and it will stick to itself.

Saturday morning, before hair and make-up, I sat out on my deck with a few of my bridesmaids to cut the stems, and wrap them in ribbon. I used a gauzy gold for the girls and boys, and a satin cream for mine and the boy's. After wrapping them I stuck green push pins up into the stems to hold the ribbon. I showed the girls, and they were able to finish the bouquets easily. For the boy, I pulled out a spring of hydrangea from my bouquet, paired it with a berry sprig, and wrapped it in cream ribbon. The boutonnieres need more glue gun glue to get the ribbon to stick. There was also a slight crisis when I realized I didn't have any pins, which I solved by snipping the longer bouquet pics off halfway.

The sun was shining with promise for the beautiful day ahead, and I have never been more at peace and clear- minded than I was on that morning. It took about an hour to finish the bouquets and boutonnieres. Most people have commented on how easy- going I was on my wedding day, so I know that this is not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed every second, and would not have done it any other way. I got all these bouquets and boutonnieres for $200, and we also used the leftover flowers for my cake and to decorate the house. My photographer took a few pictures of them on the deck when she got to the house.




Here's a teaser picture of them in action on the big day!

1 comment:

  1. wow! great job on the bouquet and it looks absolutely lovely!Love it.Thanks for sharing and keep posting for more.

    ReplyDelete